Skip to content
Frequently Asked Questions
Employment and Training

Where and how do I file for unemployment?

The Maryland Department of Labor oversees unemployment benefits in Maryland. It is to your advantage to file as quickly as possible because eligibility for benefits cannot be determined until you file an initial claim. You can file through a claim center in person or by phone Monday–Friday from 8 a.m.–2 p.m. or anytime online.

Who can help me find a job?

There are three Susquehanna Workforce Centers in Cecil and Harford County. Each of these job centers is staffed with highly knowledgeable personnel who have access to the latest labor market information.

Susquehanna Workforce Center – Bel Air
Mary Risteau Building, 2 South Bond Street, Bel Air, Maryland  21014
Telephone:  410-836-4603

Susquehanna Workforce Center – Swan Creek
2021-D Pulaski Highway, Havre de Grace, MD 21078
Telephone: 410-272-5400

Susquehanna Workforce Center – Elkton
1275 West Pulaski Hwy, Elkton, MD 21921
Telephone: 410-996-0550

How can I get training or retraining?

Go to one of the workforce centers located in Harford and Cecil Counties (listed above) and personnel will work with you to determine your training opportunities. Training seminars are available in job seeking, resume writing, interviewing techniques, and social media. Occupational training is also available for candidates seeking jobs in high-demand fields. Harford Community College and Cecil College both offer adult education classes.

Where can I find ESOL training?

English as a Second Language (ESOL) training and resources are available at Harford Community College: 443-412-2152 or email, and at Cecil College 443-907-1394 or email.

Are there resources specifically for job seekers over age 55?

Yes. The Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is a Federal program that enables low-income job seekers age 55+ to learn and earn while working in local programs serving their community. To learn more, visit Senior Service America or call 301-578-8900.

How can I earn my high school diploma?

In Maryland, if you are 18 or older and have not been enrolled in a public or private high school for three months, you are eligible to earn a diploma outside of a school environment. The Department of Labor lists three ways to earn your high school diploma on its web site. In short, you can pursue a GED, enroll in the National External Diploma Program, or apply to an adult high school program.

If you pursue a GED, there are multiple ways to prepare for that test:

  • Harford Community College’s GED prep classes: 443-412-2406 or email.
  • Cecil College’s GED prep classes: 410-392-3366 or email.
  • Enoch Pratt Free Library has many free online study and coursework resources for Maryland residents through their Learning Express Library and Gale Courses. You just need a library card. For more information, call 410-396-5430.
  • Harford County Public Library offers a similar resource.

I lost my job. How do I get health care?

If you lost your healthcare benefits when you lost your job, you may be eligible for COBRA through your previous employer. Check with your former employer’s human resources department to find out how much this option will cost. Another option is to purchase health insurance through the Maryland Health Exchange. Visit Maryland Health Connection to see your choices. At this site you will be able to enroll and choose your healthcare coverage all online. If you think you qualify for medical assistance, a separate application is required and can be filed at the Cecil and Harford County Health Departments, at the local Departments of Social Services, at your doctor’s office, and with hospital social work departments. Additionally, you can apply online.

If you are a resident of Harford County visit the Harford County Health Department closest to you:

  • Aberdeen: 253 Paradise Road, Aberdeen, MD 21001, 410-273-5681
  • Bel Air: 120 South Hays Street, Bel Air, MD 21014, 410-838-1500
  • Edgewood: 1321 Woodbridge Station Way, Edgewood, MD 21040, 410-612-1779

Residents of Cecil County can visit the Cecil County Health Department at 401 Bow Street, Elkton, MD 21921, 410-996-5550.

How do I get help for medications?

It can take some time for enrollment to take place in the Maryland Health Connection and for Medicaid. If you run out of medication that has been previously prescribed, contact one of the health department offices listed above or contact the Maryland Health Connection toll-free at 855-642-8572. Sometimes they are able to expedite essential medications.

How do I get help for assisted living?

The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene keeps a list of assisted living facilities active on their web site. Also, the Harford County Office on Aging can assist individuals 50 and over who are financially and medically eligible. The Community-Based Waiver program can be reached at 410-638-4283. The Living Group Home Subsidy Program can be reached at 410-638-3025. In Cecil County, contact 410-996-5295 to reach the Aging and Disabilities Division, which can explain various available programs.

How do I apply for Social Security?

You can complete an application for retirement, Medicare, or disability benefits online. If you do not wish to use the online application, or the application for the benefit you want is not available, call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213, or visit a local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply. In Harford County, visit the office at 3435a Box Hill, Corporate Center Dr., Abingdon, MD 21009. In Cecil County, visit the office at 101 Chesapeake Blvd, Suite A, Elkton, MD 21921.


Where are the bus stops?

In Harford County, the Harford Transit Link has service to most parts of Harford County. Pick up the bus schedules online or at their office at 1311 Abingdon Road, Abingdon, MD 21009. Phone: 410-612-1620. In Cecil County, visit or contact them at 410-996-5295, option #2.

Is there financial help for public transportation?

In Cecil County, seniors, disabled, and low-income individuals can use the Taxi Voucher Program. Contact them at 410-996-5295 option #3 for more information. If your disability or environmental barriers prevent you from using our Fixed Route Service you may be eligible for Demand & Response (Origin-to-Destination, Paratransit) In Harford County contact 410-612-1620. In Cecil County, contact 410-996-5295, option #2.

Who can help me get to medical appointments?

For medical appointments, the Harford Transit Link offers transportation to Medicaid recipients who have no other means of transportation. Application is necessary. More information online.

How do I find someone to carpool with?

Harford Commuter Assistance offers free help matching you with others looking to carpool or vanpool. Call direct to 800-924-8646 and Harford Commuter Assistance will search our listings of hundreds of commuters to find a carpool or vanpool match that fits your work schedule. Contact Harford Commute Smart for general questions and resources at 800-924-8646 or email.


How can I get subsidized housing?

Both Harford and Cecil Counties offer several types of rental subsidy programs for income-eligible families. Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) provides rental assistance to income-eligible families by paying a portion of their monthly rent. For more information in Harford County, call 410-638-3045. In Cecil County, call 410-996-5245.

Cecil County also offers housing-related counseling services to citizens at no cost. Contact 410-996-5245 to make appointments for the following services:

  • Mortgage Default and Delinquency
  • Budget Counseling to assist clients in enhancing financial skills
  • Rental Counseling & Rent Delinquency
  • Home Equity Conversion Mortgage Counseling (Reverse Mortgage)

The Maryland Rural Development Corporation offers housing services in Cecil County including budgeting, pre-purchasing, mitigation assistance and foreclosure help. They can be reached at 200 Road B Hollingsworth Manor., Elkton, MD 21921. Phone number is 410-398-6638 opt. 3.

The Harford Community Action Agency provides rent assistance, homeless prevention resources, and rapid re-housing. Contact them at 1321-B Woodbridge Station Way, Edgewood, MD 21040 and 410-612-9909. Their website for more information.


Where do I get legal aid?

Maryland Legal Aid is a private, non-profit law firm providing free legal services to low-income people statewide. You must meet income criteria for this program. You can call the Maryland Legal Aid office nearest to you, go to that office on the days and times when walk-in intake is open, or apply for legal help online. For Harford and Cecil Counties, visit the Legal Aid Office at 103 South Hickory Ave., Bel Air, MD 21014. 410-836-8202.

Also, the Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service connects low-income Marylanders with lawyers and community partners who deliver free legal assistance. Find them online where you can apply for services, or call 410-547-6537 in Baltimore or toll-free: 800-510-0050.

I have a criminal record. How do I get it expunged?

Staff at the Workforce Centers (see Who Can Help Me Get a Job in Employment and Training above) can advise you on career fields and employers who will hire people with criminal records. If you meet the criteria for expungement, you may be able to get a criminal record cleared. More information on this is available online. Additionally, in Maryland you can have your records “shielded,” which means it is not available to the public. More information is available online. The criteria for both expungement and shielding are complex and you may need legal advice. Contact the Maryland Legal Aid office to find out more.


Where can I get help with financial counseling and budgeting?

Managing your finances is a difficult task when going through a period of unemployment. There are several resources in the community that can help.

APG Federal Credit Union offers financial workshops and classes free of charge. They may have solutions that can help a family during times of stress. Go online for more information.

The Harford Community Action Agency offers resources to help families get through times of crisis. They offer grants for rent or mortgage payments and other forms of assistance. The center’s offices are located at 1321 Woodbridge Station Way B, Edgewood, MD 21040. They can be reached at 410-612-9909 or online.

The Help Center in Cecil County provides a variety of assistance to people in need, including financial counseling. They are located at 135 East High St. in Elkton, MD and can be reached at 410-996-0260 and by email and online.


Cecil County provides housing counseling services through the Cecil County Housing Agency. Call 410-996-5245 to set up an appointment. They walk clients through issues such as mortgage default, rent delinquency, home buyer education, and budget counseling. Similarly, Harford County Office of Community and Economic Development offers a range of financial counseling services. It can be reached at 410-638-3045.

The Maryland Cash Campaign provides budgeting and financial services with free tax preparation. Go online or call 410-528-8066.

Many churches across Harford County offer temporary help for families. A list of these can be found in the Harford County Resource Guide.

Do I need to file taxes when I’m unemployed?

Generally, you need to file a tax return when you are unemployed unless you do not meet the minimum income requirement. Also, unemployment income is taxable. The IRS offers a tool for you to determine whether you need to file taxes on its website.

Child Care

How do I get help with child support?

If you need assistance with establishing and enforcing child support orders in Cecil County, contact the Cecil County Department of Social Services, Child Support Enforcement at 410-996-0100, or in person at 170 East Main Street, Elkton, MD 21921.

In Harford County, contact the Harford County Child Support Administration at 800-332-6347, or in person at 101 South Main Street, Suite 200, Bel Air, MD 21014.

How do I find and pay for child care so I can get a job?

LOCATE: Child Care is a free service available for parents searching for regulated child care. LOCATE: Child Care maintains a referral database of licensed providers. Contact LOCATE: Child Care at 877-261-0060 to speak with an adviser. You will receive the contact information for multiple child care facilities that you can then contact and interview. You can also create an account on Maryland Family Network  and search online yourself for a child care provider.

If you are income-eligible, you may qualify for the Child Care subsidy program. To find out more, visit the Maryland Office of Child Care.

Additional Resources

For more information and resources, please visit

Cecil County

Cecil College Office of Career and Community Education
107 Railroad Avenue, Elkton, MD 21921 • 410-287-1078

Department of Social Services and “WISH” Program
170 East Main Street, Elkton, MD 21921 • 410-996-0100

Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulation Cecil County
1275 Pulaski Highway, Elkton, MD 21921 • 410-996-0552

Office of Housing and Community Development
200 Chesapeake Blvd., Suite 1800, Elkton, MD 21921 • 410-996-5245

Susquehanna Workforce Center – Elkton
1275 W. Pulaski Highway, Elkton, MD 21921 • 410-996-0550

Cecil Help Center
135 East High St., Elkton, MD 21921 • 410-996-0260

Harford County

Department of Social Services
2 S Bond St #300, Bel Air, MD 21014 • 410-836-4700 MD

Department of Human Services WAGE Connection
975 Beards Hill Rd., Aberdeen, MD 21001 • 410-297-9243 (facility moving to new address in 2020)

Harford Community College Office Community Education & Training (CET)
401 Thomas Run Road, Bel Air, MD 21015 • 443-412-2616 or 443-412-2152

Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulation Harford County
2 S. Bond St. Suite 204, Bel Air, MD 21014 • 410-996-0552

Office of Housing and Community Development
15 S. Main Street, Bel Air, MD 21014 • 410-638-3045

Susquehanna Workforce Centers
2 South Bond Street • Bel Air, Maryland  21014 • 410-836-4603
2021-D Pulaski Highway, Havre de Grace, MD 21078 • 410-272-5400

Harford Community Action Agency
1321 Woodbridge Station Way B, Edgewood, MD 21040 • 410-612-9909

Serving Harford and Cecil Counties

MD State Department of Rehabilitation Services
2 South Bond Street, Suite 102, Bel Air, MD 21014 • 410-836-7636
103 Chesapeake Blvd., Elkton, MD 21921 • 410-996-0620

Senior Service America
8403 Colesville Rd # 200, Silver Spring, MD 20910 • 301-578-8871

Back To Top